David is involved in the dating and location of Eastern European timbers imported in Ireland and Britain for construction purposes. He is also part of funded team supported by Historic England, looking at the importation of American timbers into Britain and Ireland.
He undertakes dendrochronological dating of buildings and archaeological timbers from all over Ireland.
He is supplying single year wood samples for the Prehistoric period to a number of different radiocarbon dating laboratories. This will help refine the radiocarbon calibration curve.
He is the Health and Safety Officer, Fire Officer and COSHH supervisor for the Archaeology and Palaeoecology Building.
Dendrochronology and Palaeoecology
Publication sample (up to 2020)
- Gill Plunkett, David M. Brown and Graeme T. Swindless. 2020. Siccitas magna ultra modum: Examining the occurrence and societal impact of droughts in Prehistoric Ireland. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy: Archaeology, Culture, History, Literature. pp. 1-21.
- Pearson, C., Wacker, L., Bayliss, A., Brown, D., Salzer, M., Brewer, P., … Hodgins, G. 2020. Annual variation in atmospheric 14C between 1700 BC and 1480 BC. Radiocarbon.
- Pearson, C. L., Brewer, P. W., Brown, D., Heaton, T. J., Hodgins, G. W., Jull, A. T., Lange, T., Salzer, M. W. 2018. Annual radiocarbon record indicates 16th century BCE date for the Thera eruption. Science Advances, 4(8).
- Turney, C. S. M., Jones, R. T., Thomas, Z. A., Palmer, J. G., & Brown, D. 2016. Extreme wet conditions coincident with Bronze Age abandonment of upland areas in Britain. Anthropocene, 13, 69-79.
- Cook, E. R., Seager, R., Kushnir, Y., Briffa, K. R., Büntgen, U., Frank, D., … Brown, D., … Zang, C. (2015). Old World megadroughts and pluvials during the Common Era. Science Advances, 1(10).
- Torbenson, M. C. A., Plunkett, G., Brown, D. M., Pilcher, J. R., & Leuschner, H. H. 2015. Asynchrony in key Holocene chronologies: Evidence from Irish bog pines. Geology, 43(9), 799-802.
- Moir, A. K., Leroy, S., Brown, D. M. and Collins, P. 2010. Dendrochronological evidence for a lower water-table on peatland around 3200-3000 BC from subfossil pine in northern Scotland. The Holocene 20 (6) pp. 931-942.
- Hogg, A. G., Palmer, J., Boswijk, G., Reimer, P. J. and Brown, D. M. 2009. Investigating the interhemispheric 14C Offset in the 1st millennium AD and assessment of laboratory bias and calibration errors. Radiocarbon 51 (4). pp. 1177-1186.
- Baillie, M. G L. and Brown, D. M. 2002. Oak dendrochronology: some recent archaeological developments from an Irish perspective. Antiquity 76 (292). Vol 76(292), pp. 497-505.
- Hillam, J., Groves, C., Brown, D. M., Baillie, M. G L., Coles, J. M. and Coles (née Orme), B. J. 1990. Dendrochronology of the English Neolithic. Antiquity 64. Vol 64, pp. 210-220.